Thursday, October 28, 2010
To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.
I voted today. Midterm elections and I went and voted early. The feeling that voting gives me is wonderful. I walked in as an older man walked out and thought I am going to probably go cancel out your vote old man Withers. I love the push of the vote button and knowing that my opinion just was counted and my voice was heard. I grabbed my "I voted" sticker put it on my shirt and proudly walked out the door. Every time I vote I think of what women went though many years ago to give me the right to enter that polling site and let my opinion be known. I feel every time elections come up that I owe it to those women who fought so hard for this basic right to take time out of my day and cast my vote. I also think about the fact that I live in a country that listens to my one small voice and allows me to speak freely about the beliefs and opinions that I feel so passionate about. I feel that voting allows me to participate in discussions and debates with others about the politics that have an impact on my daily life. I also feel that people who do not take this privilege of voting do not get the benefit of complaining about how things are run after the election has passed. Make voting a priority, make your opinions be known, take part in the game. Even if the person you cheered loudest for loses, at least you know you put your two cents into the fight. It is your right and it is your duty. 10.28.10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment